Old
02-15-2012, 07:15 PM
arrbez
bad chi

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
I disagree that the 32 LW is equal to the 32 goalie because you draft LWs for differing purposes. You draft checking LWs, 2 way LWs, scorin left wings, all to fill four spots on your roster. However you draft goalies all for the same purpose, to keep picks out of the net. It's a different concept entirely.
This is very true. By my quick scan, Bun Cook was the 32nd LWer taken, but he's a guy who probably doesn't go that high in a vacuum. It's his intangibles that make him valuable as a "glue guy", which is the case with a lot of LWers actually. If you had to choose a LWer to be the best player on a line built around them, the list would look very different. And the guy in that #32 spot would be a far, far cry from Bobby Hull.

To put it another way, if you had to draft a LWer to use in the same manner that you would use Bobby Hull (the go-to offensive option around whom the line is built), you wouldn't be taking Tikkanen, Cashman, Northcott, etc. These guys are far more valuable in a team concept than they are as individual players.

Even as someone who almost always takes a mid-to-lower end goalie, it would be disingenuous for me to say that the difference between Patrick Roy and Tiny Thompson isn't that big. You can win with a bottom end goalie, just like you can win with a bottom end #1 D or C. But it's something you have to make up for in other ways.

Last edited by arrbez: 02-15-2012 at 07:22 PM.