View Single Post
Old
02-15-2012, 08:15 PM
Reijo R

vCash: 500
Badgersandblues.......I think a critical element of this team's success is that they've kept this same young core (Staal, Girardi, Callahan, Dubinsky, etc) and they've grown together. I'm sure there's a good shot the Blues could put a fair package deal to offer, but I think the only way the NYR break up this chemistry and trade Staal is if:

1. A supreme 1st line scorer became available and that player would also have to be a Torts kinda guy, not someone like Kovalchuk or Kane. (yes, you people read that right, I don't think Sather/Torts would deal Staal for Ilya/Kane).

2. Cap space came into play, and somebody had to go. The NYR might have a hard time keeping every single young defensemen down the line. Staal and Girardi are top level guys, and McDonagh/Del Zotto are quickly ascending to that level. Mike Sauer, when healthy, looks to be a quintessential 2nd pairing type, and the org. also has a well-regarded prospect, Dylan McIlrath, down the pipeline. He was drafted 10th overall in 2010, a 6' 4" bruiser and feared fighter in juniors. He still needs development time, but they have HIGH hopes for him. Not sure how they'll be able to keep all of these guys a few years down the line, but you can never predict trades, injuries, etc.

Reijo R is offline   Reply With Quote