View Single Post
Old
02-16-2012, 10:01 AM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
No intermediate sticks do not break more often. I'm an adult, 5'8, 200 pounds and like I said I've had my X:60 since last March, playing 50+ games with it.

I've owned probably close to a dozen intermediate sticks and the only one I've broken was an early release high end stick I was reviewing for a small company. And that stick had walls as thin as many pro stocks, far thinner than any retail stick I've seen outside of last year's Reebok 10k.

What will make a stick break more often is if you have terrible technique. If you use a stick too long and too stiff and then hit the ice 1-2 feet ahead of the puck to get it to flex, it creates far more stress on the stick than necessary.

For those of you with teens, how long are their sticks on skates? When they're taking slappers, are they contacting the ice a few inches before the puck or a foot or more?
I don't know... Those sticks are only supposed to flex so much. You overflex them, and they snap. If you're too tall/strong/heavy for the flex on the stick, it's more prone to snapping. The intermediates, just by sheer design, and having more flex, are going to have thinner walls. Or am I wrong on that? I don't have much experience with them, unlike you, but that seems like it would be the case to me. I really lean into my snapshots, and have a really hard shot, so even a 77 flex cut down a little feels too whippy to me. I'm only around 5'10 and 190 lbs. It's really all about how much you load the stick.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote