View Single Post
Old
02-16-2012, 02:14 PM
idk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueinmtl View Post
This.

We got a pp out of it. The potential for AE to get injured was far more damaging to us than them. And the fact that, the league aside, once more we prove to everyone we will not stand up for each other and you essentially have carte blanche to try and take our guys out.

I noticed PK laying into Marchand in the 3rd at least. But seriously embarrassing again when everyone else on the ice at the time just drifts away. Like later when Thornton leveled Emelin, everyone just looks sad-face to the ref, do nothing, pretend it didn't happen.

I'm not for a team of thugs. But I want to see the team stand up for each other and let other teams know this will not be tolerated. Those of you who watched us change the game by eradicating the Flyers shameful joke of a 'dynasty' in the mid 70's will know what this means. Even when Price covers up, we straighten up and allow anyone who wants to skate up to him, get right in his grill, stand over him. Other teams almost never allow this. It is a small thing maybe, and changing a bit with Emelin, Gorges, PK; but goes on far too often.

Oddly enough Gionta is pretty good at this, despite his stature.
Part of me (the one that is constantly filled with bloodlust and vengence) agrees with you, but I've got to tell you I'm not sure that will work either. Having tough guys that respond when the going gets dirty around didn't save Savard. It didn't save Crosby. It didn't save Horton. And I'm not sure it'll save Emelin or Subban or {insert Canadien here}. And here's why....

Someone else above pointed it out, although I doubt he'll draw the same conclusions I will from it. The fact of the matter is that officiating in the NHL has done nothing but get worse - more inconsistent and more dangerous (for the players) - year after year. This is not solely on the head of the NHL officials - there are other reasons including the recent retirement of a number of the more experienced officials, an increase in the speed of the game, and increase in the number of people looking to 'sell' infractions and some baffling rule changes that leave the door wide open for abuse - but some of it falls on their shoulders as well. You have games like last night where the officials clearly were calling everything and then suddenly put away their whistles - as if by mutual consent they "didn't want to affect the outcome of the game." That excuse is nothing more than copious quantities of male bovine excrement in my opinion, but that's a rant for another day.

Back to the real topic - why building a rough and ready team won't work. Well it's the inconsistent rules. With one ref, if you jump the little punk that just low bridged your big hitting defneseman they'll say "payback" and carry on as if they were normal. With another you'll wind up with five and a game for instigating. So what do you do? Jump the guy and force your team to play down possibly two roster players for the rest of the night (to say nothing of the long penalty kill they'll have to manage). Complain to the ref? Some refs will listen, some will dismiss you outright, and some will be insulted by your attempts to tell them how to do their job. Come back later and clobber the guy? Some refs will let that slide (see Thronton last night). Others will call you on it.

It extends to all aspects of the game. What is hooking? Tripping? Interference? Goaltender interference? Roughing? Ref's have to make judgement calls night in and night out. And each one of them has different judgement. So you wind up with a new set of rules every game you play the season. That's not fair to anyone.

The NHL needs to get its act together. The rampant head injuries this season is stark proof of this. The reason why the guys are getting concussions is because there's no clear defined rules on hitting. It calls for the referee's judgement. It calls for Shanny's judgement. That's not a good solution. A good solution would be to revamp the rule book. Toss away most of the judgement calls a ref is asked to make during a game and replace it with clearly defined criteria. High sticking has a simple definition. Too many men has a simple definition. Over the glass delay of game has a simple definition. Interference, goaltender interference, roughing and tripping do not. Which of those two groups is miscalled more often?

Once that's done then we can tell our players what they can and can't do. Until then it's a guessing game with potentially dire consequences for the team.

idk is offline   Reply With Quote