View Single Post
Old
02-16-2012, 11:29 PM
cvbruins15

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post

This is both nice AND worrisome to me.

I don't know what kind of numbers are being thrown about, so I can't say for sure if this will be good or bad. But there's a certain amount of "falling in love" with players that I see certain GM's making their biggest mistakes on. Over-committing to players who have pretty generic and unspectacular skill-sets.

Peverley is a signing that I understand. Kind of a Marco Scutaro who can play anywhere in the lineup and adds a nice change-up of skill. It's a bit much to commit to him, but

But a guy like Chris Kelly (whom I like a LOT) scares me as a potential re-sign, because he already makes quite a bit of money - he's likely looking at more, and I think the cash is probably better spent/saved.

The bottom line, is that the goal should be that each and every one of your contracts is a potential asset and not a detriment. Any one of these players signed to more than they're worth... And it becomes a huge problem. Especially when your entire budget is looking to be used up before free agency hits. If your team begins to struggle, it's like being sucked into a whirlpool. There's no way out.

I love this team and I love the vast majority of the players on it. Every single player offered an extension, I love. The emotional side of me is happy that there's the potential to see them all back next season. The rational side of me though, understands that Chiarelli is notorious good at being decent to his players and that hometown discounts are all but non-existent. I worry that this (like love) could end up being ultimately destructive.
incredibly well said

cvbruins15 is offline   Reply With Quote