View Single Post
Old
02-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
I think this a completely useless proposition. Current management may thing the direction is a retool, but I think the consensus is that they are going to get axed at the end of the year. I think it is premature to outright say that there will be no rebuild. The question really to ask is whether Molson is going to be the ***** he has portrayed himself to be, or grow a set and do what is in the best long term interests of the club. Knowing how ownership has acted for the last 20 years, they are content to allow the team to languish in mediocrity, as long as it is fighting for the last playoff spot. They won't take the Nordiques/Penguins/Capitals/Blackhawks model and suck for a few years, acquire the franchise players, and be Cup contenders for a decade or more.
Let's talk in 2 or 3 years. If the current management group assumes that they have purchased the George Gillett money printing machine and are going to operate in the brand-centric mode of the Ronald Corey years, well good luck to them. Sales are down this year and they will decline further if we are fed Gauthier's vision of success.

The situation is fluid, a good GM needs to be adaptive but hold on to the long term view. You don't need to declare a rebuild to be in the midst of one and the key for the fan is watching what the team does with draft picks and young players. Gauthier is too reactive to lead that job.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote