View Single Post
Old
02-17-2012, 01:29 PM
RetiredFlyer
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
so the second best defensive player on a top 4 defensive team would be garbage on another team, gotcha.
Jack Johnson is not the second best defensive player on the Kings. He "might" be the 2nd best defenseman on the Kings, but that is only because of his offensive / power play abilities. His defensive abilities are horrible.

He is total liability on the defensive end and is one of the worst defensemen (from a "defensive" perspective) in the entire league and any advanced metric you want will show you this. Heck, even the simple +/- statistic demonstrates this.

I do not know what team in their right mind would give up a top 3 forward for a package built around a glorified forward masked as a defenseman. And heck, even Jack Johnson's offensive abilities aren't that amazing. He is a powerplay juggernaut, nothing more. His points per sixty of even strength ice time are horrendous.

Jack Johnson's rank among Kings' defensemen throughout his career in:
Even-strength points per sixty / Relative Corsi / plus-minus

07-08: LAST / LAST / LAST
08-09: LAST / LAST / LAST
09-10: 3rd / 5th / LAST
10-11: LAST / LAST / LAST
11-12: 4th / LAST / LAST

(for fair comparison, I only considered Jack Johnson versus the other 5 Kings defensemen that had the most games played each year)

I cannot wait to hear Kings fans attempt to spin this. It should be fun.

RetiredFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote