View Single Post
Old
02-17-2012, 12:34 PM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Reading comprehension. I said it would TAKE that package, as in that is what Columbus is looking for right now. They want a package of 2-3 guys plus a pick and they won't settle for anything less. I never thought Gauthier would give this a thought, nor should he.
i'm skeptical that they will get anywhere near that kind of return.

As talented as Nash is, he has a very big cap hit @ 7.8M$, and he's owed ~48M$ on the remaining years of his deal.

Teams that have the ownership backing/$$ to take on that kind of salary, generally don't have the cap space to accommodate adding ~8M$ on one player (who isn't a dominating presence the way a Crosby/Malkin/Datsyuk would be).

Teams that have the cap space, generally don't have the ownership/$$ to take on a 50M$ financial commitment to one player.

will be very interesting to see how it plays out, but those reasons alone should thin out the potential "buyer" market for him pretty considerably (not too mention his NTC implications), leaving Howson in a less-than-ideal negotiating position.

what cap spending team is going to give up more than 1 quality young/affordable NHL assets like Patches/Subban, thus both weakening their NHL depth (and the supporting cast for their new "star) while making it tougher for them to bolster that depth with their limited remaining cap space?

Any deal like that would almost demand that a big contract on an underperforming veteran is included in the mix going back to CBJ.

if we are in the sweepstakes, I would imagine/want our "bid" to be something like:

2012 1st (protected, 2013 1st if 2012 = top 5 pick)
Pacioretty
Diaz or Weber
Gomez

for

Nash
2nd