View Single Post
Old
02-17-2012, 04:04 PM
PBC9400

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes19 View Post
I understand that Rick Nash is clearly offensively superior to Dubinsky. I also understand that he's consistently been a 30+ goal scorer. Over the past 5 seasons, he's averaged about 34 goals per year. I guess my question, then, is this:

If the organization believes Dubinsky can rebound and score the 25 or so goals per year that he's clearly capable of, is that 10 goal per season upgrade worth the cost? Is that extra 10 goals per season worth adding a 7.8M contract for the next 6 years?

To me, it seems like a fairly clear "no". That contract is albatross waiting to happen, even though Nash is still relatively young. Plus, you have to wonder about how well he'll perform in NY, since, as we've seen, not everyone thrives in New York. There's also team chemistry issues to take into account, plus the extra cost (beyond Dubinsky, hypothetically) of acquiring Nash (Kreider? Miller? 1st? Who knows?).

Taking everything into account, it seems like the answer to the Nash question should "No". But then again, I'm not paid to make professional hockey decisions.
While I agree with you that Nash's contract is terrible, and I also agree that asset wise the trade may be too expensive. I also thing, it may be better off to do nothing big now or ever or wait for a cheaper price on a guy like Ryan or maybe getting Parise just for dollars. But, in regards to Nash, I think you may be missing something in the difference he provides in the lineup rather than a Dubinsky. Firstly, with Nash, yes he has averaged around the 35 goal mark in his career and it is a legitimate expectation for him to continue that if he were to come to NY. Also, the Rangers can at least expect Dubinsky to get back to that 20-25 goal level, max out at probably 30 on a really good year. Also, Nash has shown that he can consistently score 35 as we have mentioned, while doing so on a terrible CBJ team with virtually very little as a supporting cast. What may be being missed here is the fact that Nash has the potential and the skill and ability to score 45-50 every year. He has the finishing touch and the ability to do that. Dubinsky will max out with a ceiling of 30 goals on a great year while Nash, who knows what his ceiling is? Also, you are underestimating the luxury of having a Nash in the lineup; teams will have to gameplan on stopping him and it will create more chances, goals and stats for the rest of the team. On the roster, if it is simply Nash for Dubinsky, there is a no contest that Nash makes this team much, much better. Nash will cover and exceed whatever Dubinsky can bring to the table, he has proven to be a consistent 35 goal scorer on a terrible team with no help. It simply is not just a 10 goal upgrade as you have to account for the players success around him as well. Nash undoubtedly makes the team much better than Dubinsky would.

The problem is when you configure adding to the package the guys like Kreider, etc. If it gets too costly, you have to be careful.