View Single Post
Old
02-17-2012, 05:33 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
I agree with Poile and I think Gill is one of the better options for defensive depth, BUT

The frustrating part is why don't we go after decent defensive depth in the offseason? We let guys like SOB and Zanon walk for cheap, don't go after relatively cheap options (like Gill)... and then we have to massively overpay at the deadline to get them.

I guess this comes down to Geofferion. If he's a marginal NHL/AHL player, giving up a 2nd and him isn't too bad. If he becomes a good NHLer, we paid a steep price.

As for Gill, I think he'll be a decent fit, potentially a really good fit if he still has some playoff mojo left.
Just because it's the summer doesn't mean the price for Gill is any cheaper. Before the season begins most GMs think their team will play for a spot in the play offs. A player like Hal Gill, who helped Montreal's PK tremendously, isn't necessarily available for anything less than an overpayment even then.

Also, you can't really judge a trade by what happens with a piece of that trade in the future. I mean, you can, but it completely nullifies the relevant context. Right now Geoffrion does nothing to add to the team. He is not the top six forward we need, and he obviously is not the defenseman we need. Slaney will not crack the NHL unless Montreal goes through a ton of injuries. The 2nd round pick is valuable in theory, but not necessarily in reality. Even if Geoffrion develops into a good second line player in a couple of years, this team has plenty of good second liners. Poile absolutely has to start turning some of these futures into plugs for holes the current line up has not only to win, but to help retain Weber and Suter. Especially when they are passed over by so many other players on the depth chart like Geoffrion seemed to have been.

Now, get something for Blum, Lindback, and the 1st. Carter?

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote