View Single Post
Old
02-18-2012, 01:24 AM
SJeasy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
Mitchell also fit that role for a while too. What I'm saying is that while some want a top 6 guy, I really want a guy that is better than DeJordan in all those aspects. Not a ton, just that much better to make DeJordan expendable. That's depth to me personally.

Just seems more reasonable and more useful. It's not a shot against Desi.
Mitchell has never been good at PK. Desi has been.

Desi's value is very close to Handzus. Better defense, faceoffs, puck recovery. Handzus gets Desi on puck control (if he can get to the puck) and scoring. Right now, Desi is on the top edge of a #10 which is the same as Mitchell. On the market, a vet #10 goes for about $1.5-$1.7mil (eg Talbot). Desi is not the one to upgrade because you just bumped payroll by about $1mil for very little playoff benefit (#10's are rarely playoff performers). At his current performance level, the Sharks should be able to keep him at $700-800k. Desi beats Mitchell in all areas except scoring as well.

Out of the current bottom 6, McGinn, Moore, Handzus and Desi are pretty much locked into the playoff lineup. You need to worry about the other two spots. If it is an upgrade, it will be on Mitchell (due to cost), Wingels, Ferriero, Winchester, etc.