View Single Post
Old
02-18-2012, 11:26 AM
LyleOdelein

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
I certainly don't want to overvalue Darche, but.... guys who play on shut down lines and are effective penalty killers who log 14+ minutes a game who are 30+ and only cost 500K are quite valuable in the cap era. For a 4th we might as well keep him. We'd be sending a roster player for a draft pick that won't be anywhere near this club for 4 years AND probably will never be here.
I agree with this.

What I find most impressive about Darche's PK ability this year is that this is the first time that he's ever been used in that role at the NHL level and he's thriving. In the previous two seasons combined, he played a total of 44 seconds SH/TOI. He may be an old dog, but he's still learning new tricks to keep himself relevant.

The guy is cheap, will never be on a long contract, hasn't complained in the past when he saw reduced ice-time, and is willing to play/learn in any role that the coach asks of him.

I know there's a lot of people that don't see it this way, but if teams are only willing to pay a late pick for Darche, I think it makes sense to keep him on the team through the re-tool.