View Single Post
Old
02-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Jack is more valuable than people give him credit for. He is a solid top 4 offensive defenseman, an Olympian, and has proven to be a good playoff performer. He has been in many pressure situations and is a more finished product. I am sure Columbus is looking at him through the similar viewpoint we see Nash through. He is a player we have to typically overpay for just the slightest chance to trade or sign to us, here is an established player, who fills one of our biggest needs, and is signed long term (albeit Jack is on a discount deal and Nash is overypayed).

Voynov is still an unknown quantity and his interest in the team is equally unknown. Columbus just recently got over the Filatov debacle, who knows if they are willing to roll the dice on another potential fleeing Russian. Voynov has mentioned in interviews that he is only so patient. Columbus is last in the league by a large margin. What if Voynov doesn't succeed there? What is to stop him from going to the KHL instead of waiting out his RFA years with Columbus?

Besides, I would argue that Jack's potential is still much higher than Voynov's. Jack's frame and capabilities are greater offensively and warrant a higher ceiling. He still has the capability of turning into an elite puck mover, whereas I would argue that Voynov is more of a very solid top 4 mobile defenseman prospect. Johnson is a potential #1.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller