View Single Post
Old
02-18-2012, 06:14 PM
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma

vCash: 500
Not sure if anyone likes soccer, but a writer for the MLS wrote about a story just like this once on his personal blog... From Greg Seltzer

"One of my personal pet peeves is needing to repeat myself. Ya know, when I get or see incessant comments from USMNT fans about how Tim Ream is a lost cause or Jozy Altidore is a bust or how this or that player is worthless, I want to scream.

When I was a season ticket-holding kid, the St. Louis Blues acquired a veteran all-star defenseman by the name of Rod Seiling from the New York Rangers. The first season, he was alright, probably the least you would expect from him. He wasn't overly popular.

The second season, dude was abysmal. It was like watching a train wreck into a Keystone Cop nightmare. The fans got on him good, and nobody more than little me. I was about seven or eight, verbally in that guy's hair biting his scalp like everybody else. It became a regular thing to boo and hoot at Seiling, at one point practically every time he got near the puck. His performance worsened and his ice time decreased. At the end of the season, he was traded and everyone rejoiced.

But now that I look at it, we didn't help. We needed this guy to be good and instead ran him out of form and town. Oh... did I not mention what the team's records were that season and the next? Seiling's horror season saw the Blues finish 20-47 with 53 points, one of the worst campaigns in franchise history. After he was shipped off, they went 18-50 for 48 points, their worst season ever."

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote