View Single Post
Old
02-19-2012, 01:49 PM
CM PUNK

vCash: 500
not necessarily specific to nash but when looking at signing a guy which lets us hold onto our assets vs trading assets, i think you really need to look at our depth...

first off after wolski is gone, fact is dubinsky becomes our worst contract. i don't say that to knock dubi but rather point out the awesome fact that unlike past years when we had guys on the team that you were eating up cap space and you couldn't wait to get rid of them to make room for a kid. we are at the point that you are no longer removing overpaid bums for kids, you are removing kids for other kids

lets say we sign parise and then you have richards, gaborik, callahan, dubinsky, stepan, anisimov, parise, boyle, prust, rupp, kreider and hagelin up front....that leaves no open spots for miller, thomas, st croix, fasth, etc

on the blueline you have staal, mcdonagh, girardi, del zotto, sauer and erixon...which leaves no open spot for mcilrath

and that doesn't even factor in future draft picks, other signings, other prospects surprising us and developing better than expected etc. thats a lot of depth and in a good way

now obviously you can debate which assets are included and maybe nash isn't the right guy and maybe now isn't the right time to make the deal, but i really believe that our team is actually setup perfectly to allow us to make a 3 for 1 type deal if the right player is available and our depth allows us to consider it.