View Single Post
Old
02-19-2012, 06:25 PM
DUHockey9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer Rob View Post
Ok so hear me out.

Grossman, Kubina, and Carle are all free agents after this year. I honestly think Snider and Holmgren could be looking at it this way:

Obviously this team is not winning the cup with the way the goaltending is right now...let's try and pick up a couple decent veteran defensemen and hope that the goaltending picks up. If it does, great, maybe we can make a deep run. If it doesn't then guys like Carle, Grossman, and Kubina all come off the books and Pronger (for all intensive purposes) heads to LTIR. Assuming the cap goes up a couple million, the Flyers would potentially have around $15 million in cap space with 3 locked in defensemen. Obviously some people are due for a raise, but am I nuts for looking at (or hoping) that this is what management is thinking?

Grab a couple of veteran guys, hope the goaltending picks up, and make a run. If we do then great we might have a shot at the cup. If not, we'll have an assload of money to spend on some big name defensemen in the offseason. Could be more hope then not but what do you guys think
I'm not following your rationale. You seem to be implying that acquiring Grossman and Kubina are going to give us cap space come the off-season. This isn't the NBA where acquiring expiring contracts are valuable. The Flyers would have the same cap space if they simply didn't acquire those players.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote