Old
02-21-2012, 09:53 AM
WeThreeKings

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
It's not just about value.

When the team is doing well and making the playoffs, progressing...you can sign pretty good UFA's(see Cole).

When it's going the wrong direction you end up overpaying for UFA's(like Cammy Spacek Hamrlik etc) and creates a cap crunch.

When Gionta's contract expires, if he finishes his contract here, his value will be that he frees up 5 mil we can spend on another player...hopefully if the team is doing well it will be a good value.

Plus having him here 2 more years to help develop LeBlanc Gallagher Quailer Kristo Bournival etc has value. As much as Gill wasn't great other than PK he had a lot to do with PK's success and development, I'm sure he played a part last month after Pk's run in with Ladouceur, since then he's been very good.
Having cap space does not mean you're able to sign another player. So many factors come in. I would trade Gionta for good value (A 1st and a prospect) and you wouldn't. I'm not saying trade him for peanuts. If some team out there is willing to pony up high value for him, then I'd sell him.

He's not a core player and that's all I'm interested in keeping right now. Core value players.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote