View Single Post
Old
02-21-2012, 12:36 PM
dave babych returns

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
Or maybe you forgot about all the anti Gillis furor when he was hired. Gillis is a bit of an outsider in this league.
Really? The only organizations that have any problem with Gillis are either employers of the Burke/Nonis/Tambellini brain trust or have well documented spats going with management of several other teams (Kevin Lowe).. suggesting the problem is likely not Gillis.

Since Mike Gillis was hired he has completed trades with nearly half the league (13 teams), so any suggestion that he is some kind of pariah seems outdated at best.

Quote:
Of course this doesn't mean that the Stars can't trade with the Canucks. Recent history just suggests that they will be less receptive. It probably means that they will trade with other teams before Vancouver or want to get more back to feel comfortable. Whatever they do it seems pretty unlikely that the Dallas Stars want to be in a position to really help the Vancouver Canucks win a Stanley Cup.
I'm sure what the Dallas Stars want (even considering the ego and potential meddling of their owner) is to be in a position to help themselves, and Mason Raymond is the type of return for Steve Ott that they are unlikely to find anywhere else.

Raymond is cheaper than Ott, can play in a similar variety of roles and brings mobility the Stars need; it's probable that he can be re-signed to a similar term for less money than Ott and for a franchise with trouble selling tickets (no matter how big their owners ego might be) that's got to be tempting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
That's fine. My point is that guys like Ott can rub their teammates the wrong way (even if they are wearing an "A") They can be a distraction, they draw attention to skilled players when they move up the lineup. Again, I'm not saying it's a terrible idea, I just don't think it's the slam dunk most of you are making it out to be. Finding the right personalities has been a big part of what Gillis has done here. If he brings him in I'm sure he will be fine.
Well sure - Ott could come in here and be a complete disaster, who knows. We both agree that if Gillis and his staff look at the possibility and see Ott as a contributor here then it will probably work out... I guess I just think that is likelier than you do.