View Single Post
Old
02-21-2012, 05:41 PM
Stickmata

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie29 View Post
My answer's a little different than most. Bit of a story.

I grew up in a hockey mad family in a hockey mad area, and I wasn't allowed to play. My twin brother did, and I had to go watch his games. No girls accepted. It was the early 70s on a military base, not exactly the most equality-focussed time and place. My parents have told me that I begged and cried, but there was nothing they could do.

We moved to Winnipeg when I was 8, and they had a new thing going on for girls - ringette. So I played that for years, and loved playing. But I hated always having to explain the sport, and I hated the verbal abuse from boys and adults that us girls were taking ice time that should go to boys.

Fast forward to 5 years ago when I was 39. At the pushing of a friend I signed up for a "learn to play" hockey class, and next thing I'm playing on two teams, and even becoming a goalie. Which I love.

Some days I'm out on the ice, either playing with one of my teams or in a pick up game, and I can't believe that I'm out there playing hockey. Even though the knees are arthritic, I'm that 7 year old who finally got a shot.
That's awesome! Sad that times were like that, but it also makes me think about how wonderful things are for girls today and all the opportunities they have to get on the ice and play hockey. The young girls that play at our rink love the game - you can just see it in their faces all the time.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote