View Single Post
Old
01-22-2006, 06:40 PM
lynchmob450

vCash: 500
Any room for more moves?

From Saturday's Inquirer (http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/spo...13676216.htm):

"As for the salary cap, the money for Primeau (post-concussion syndrome) and Eric Desjardins (right shoulder surgery) counts against the cap, but because both were placed in the "long-term injury" category, the Flyers are permitted to exceed the cap until their return when all monies must be rectified.

The Flyers' cap number was $39.2 million - $200,000 over - before yesterday's deal. Nedved earns $2,204,000 this season and $2,356,000 next season. His cap number was $11,245 on a daily basis. The Flyers pick up $989,551 of his salary. They also save $202,032 against the cap on Seidenberg's prorated salary.

Adding Nedved's prorated salary against the cap plus the $200,000 the Flyers were already over (because of call-ups from the Phantoms), the Flyers' cap figure is $39.9 million, or $987,519 in excess. When Primeau and Desjardins return, the Flyers have to lose about $1 million.

"We can do that," Clarke said of moving salaries later. But if Primeau stays on IR all through the regular season, his prorated salary of $2,778,000 would be deducted off the $39.9 million figure, making Nedved affordable without losing another player."

IF, as many people have predicted, Primeau will not return for the regular season, then how do the Flyers create enough cap room for any new additions (depth forward or d-man)? Can they do this by waiving guys like Savage or Brashear? Will this create enough room?

Personally, adding another d-man would not be my top priority. I really think we can go far with Hatcher, Pitkanen, Desjardins, Johnsson, Ratje and Meyer (with a Jones as our #7).

Its up front that i think we can improve. But i'm not sure we have enough $$$ space to be able to do this.

Comments?