View Single Post
Old
02-22-2012, 12:26 PM
Butch 19
King me

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
the contact was clean and legal. elbow, stick and forearm are all down. the shoulder to the head, is merely due to size difference you can't penalize a guy for that.

what wasn't clean is the timing and the direction of the hit. 0.2-0.3 seconds after Brule passed the puck. total grey area when it comes to contact, which is one reason this will always bring a debate. big red came from a blindspot, since Creme Brule was looking up ice and didn't see the hit. this is somehting the league and Shanny are looking to change when it comes to the culture.

the call could have gone either way, because it is such a 'grey area'. like others said if the situation was reveresed LA fans would be calling for a suspension.

r torres has been penalized and suspended for hits just like this. he is notorious for hitting guys by coming into them from a blindspot.

i dont expect Clifford to get suspended for this, since he doesn't have a history of similar hits.
The "gray area" is a good point. I can see maaaaybe a 2 minute penalty / matching minor from Phx - ESPECIALLY since there was NO initial call from either ref. It was in NO way an "attempt to injure."

If Phx didn't immediately go after Clifford, would this have even been a penalty?!?!? Probably not.
This encourages teams to go after any opposing player that checked one of their guys hard. Is that what we want? I don't, the NHL apparently does.

As far as .2 - .3 seconds after the pass, watch it at game speed - the check was well within legal time for a check.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote