View Single Post
Old
11-12-2003, 09:45 AM
JR#9*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
But who the hell knows, whatever the lines, guys like Nedved, Lindros and Kovalev have to start producing goals..
That is the bottom line b/c it makes no sense to keep our 3rd/4th lines intact even if they have played well if it comes at the expense of possibly getting the above mentioned names going b/c if they don't we're done so while the Simon-Mess-Matty unit has been very good I wouldn't hesitate to break it up if it could possibly get one of the top 2 lines going.

As for Lindros-Kovalev, yes it did materialize last year and they showed no chemistry together but in the same thought process just who has Kovalev had chemistry with since he and Nedved have done nothing together and since Eric has played well despite not being able to find the right combo of linemates it only makes sense to try the 2 together as they've each had time with every other linemate except eachother.

And yes the styles contrast but in the new defensive system I don't think it would be as big a factor and with Lindros now going north-south again and going hard to the net I think we'd be suprised at them success they can have together as Lindros actually wants a puck carrier on his line and AK is the best puckcarrier in the NHL as well as AK being able to make a move and get his shot on net that has left plenty of rebounds this yr but having Nedved-Hlavac on his line those rebounds haven't been pounced on.

Put Simon on the other side to give another big body for Lindros to work the boards and front of the net with and we'd see positive results,

Also we need Nedved to really start contributing offensively and IMO he plays better when he's the offensive catalyst on the line.Right now that would be Kovalev and Nedved is left in a secondary role and doesn't get as much accomplished as when he is the guy using his speed with the puck and getting off his wrister on the rush.

I also think that if a Hlavac-Nedved-Lundy line were constructed we;d see Nedved use his linemates better than AK has been able to do thus far.