Thread: Prospect Info: Sami Vatanen
View Single Post
Old
02-23-2012, 05:17 AM
heksagon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigismund View Post
Kinda funny, I just watched some highlight reels of this Schultz guy, and I noticed some similarities with Vatanen. Schultz just seems to use his wrist shot more often, while Vatanen depends more heavily on his slap shot. Obviously it is hard to get any broader picture of Schultz when relying only on those clips, but yeah, jolly good job Justin.

I'm pretty lousy at writing it all down in the first time, or the second, so I might be hanging around here commenting every now and then. Anyways, and what I initially wanted to write, was, that there has been some doubts in Finnish hockey forums about how well Vatanen can adapt to more physical game in NHL, and some see that a minor issue. Hitherto (I just read some good ol' Hobbes and this word sounded so cool... ok, this sounded pretty gay but anywho) no one has crushed him on ice, due to his pretty well-balanced skating he usually just jumps up a bit or just avoids the hit. But on open ice that might be pretty different.

All this said... If I were the coach, anyhow, I wouldn't put more than two of this kind in the same lineup. Vatanen still makes some weird mistakes in the d-zone, although rarely, and needs a solid defensive d-man on his side.

E: Oh yeah, and what the statistics don't show is that Sami creates loads of penalties for the opponent, too. So it's not only the points that should be noticed.
Very true. Often opponents can't keep up with him and they have to hook him down resulting in a penalty.

heksagon is offline   Reply With Quote