View Single Post
Old
02-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Gilligans Island

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Part of what devalues Carter now will still be there in the off-season. The term on his contract is ridiculous and other GMs will be circumspect with a guy who already showed that he can become disgruntled with a new location much less his other issues. If he doesn't hold much value now, he is not likely to appreciate that much in value later meaning that DW would likely get a similar package back if he could trade him at all.
If we do trade for Carter, DW has to realistically think he'd have Carter until the 2017-18 season, at least. He'd be 33 then.
He becomes tradeable during the 2018-19 season, or rather, his value should appreciate simply b/c his cap hit > actual salary. If Carter helps the Sharks win a Cup during that time AND performs as he did in Philly without locker room issues, he'll help further recover & increase his value during this time.

Agree it'd be foolish for DW to think he could flip Carter during the offseason unless Carter won the Conn Smthye...

Anyhow, I'm not that scared off by his term since his cap hit is good. This all assumes Carter is a buy low. Forget it if not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
A number of prospects and picks, but I don't see that happening. Columbus traded Carter for Voracek, Couturier, and Cousins, so I assume they want something at least close to that value. If they don't get it, they don't have to move Carter.
I could live with a package around Clowe for Carter, but that still leaves the Sharks lacking depth after their Top-6.
Of course, they don't HAVE to move Carter but it'll all come down to if the BJs do want to blow up the team. Trading Vermette for cheap is a slight indication they are moving in that direction. So that means they recognize they won't get close to equal value for Carter.

My walkaway price would be Clowe for Carter straight up.

Or, 1st + Doherty + Sateri for Carter + 3rd. Around that. Heck add Mitchell, Ferriero or even Wingels if we can do better than a 3rd. Take on Huselius, too, if it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
Its because Nash is a flashy game breaker whereas pavs is not. If you dont watch both players a lot you are likely not going to come to any other conclusion other than Nash >>>>>> Pavs

If the Sharks could move Havlat or Clowe for Nash, I would do it but the salary difference between what Pavs brings and what Nash brings is a non starter for the Sharks.
I'm pretty sure this is a staredown now between DW, Howsen and Sather. Reportedly, the Rangers are offering Dubinsky, Christian Thomas, Dylan McIlrath and 1st (2012). An equivalent for us would probably be Clowe, Hamilton OR Sgarbossa, Doherty and a 1st. I'd do that. We could probably sweeten it by taking on Huselius and adding Sateri or Sexsmith.

If we get Nash, I'd be really surprised if Pavelski was dealt.