View Single Post
Old
02-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Pierre did interview for the Wild GM position. I believe he also did for TB but I may be wrong.
According to Melnick's article on McGuire, he's been close to a GM position a number of times:

"I think Pierre Mcguire should be running an NHL hockey management team. He interviewed for the GM post in Calgary that eventually went to Craig Button. Pierre told the Flames they needed to invest a lot of money to rebuild their infrastructure. The Flames, in the bad old days of the low Canadian dollar, thought otherwise. They're still looking for that second Stanley Cup. Pierre almost became the GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Yep, I believe it's a matter of record by now. The Leafs wanted to bring Scotty Bowman in as head of hockey operations. Scotty would have named Pierre GM. But the Leafs refused to move John Ferguson Jr. out of the picture. Bowman said no. Ferguson, finally fired by Toronto a year later, now scouts for San Jose. Pierre came very close to getting the Wild GM job in the wonderful hockey market of Minnesota but lost out to Chuck Fletcher. Ironically, if Pierre had agreed to become Ray Shero's assistant in Pittsburgh when his old friend came calling it might have eventually landed him that Minnesota job. The Stars hired Fletcher after he worked under Shero in Pittsburgh. "

More nice words from Melnick in this article : http://www.ourhometown.ca/sports/MM0060.php

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote