View Single Post
Old
02-23-2012, 01:53 PM
PavelDatsyuk

vCash: 500

Another great game, if I'm not already a fan, I'm definitely becoming one. I've seen and analyzed a lot of hockey. I don't know if even you fans in St. Louis realize how, for lack of a better word, "special" Pietrangelo is. He has all the attributes, all the characteristics of true greatness.

He measures himself against the best, in big games he challenges himself, he challenges his team, he challenges the other team. But he does this so very subtly or humbly that you may miss it; you can see that he loves to cover up for a teammate's mistakes and he is the first to, even unfairly, deflect blame onto himself (I'm talking about on ice actions and body language here). It actually stems from a special type of cockiness - he's got an absolute confidence in his own abilities, feeling like if something went wrong then it's because of him not playing up to his abilities, if he plays as well as he feels he can then nothing can go wrong.

The more I watch him, the more I think that it would be a mistake to get a top pairing LD to partner with him. He thrives when he is the one who needs to shoulder all the responsibility. One of his greatest strengths really is being able to spend all his ice time making the lives of his teammates easier.

It's something that's noticeable about Datsyuk and Crosby, and to a lesser degree in Toews; their commitment to simply making it easy for their teammates to succeed and not putting their teammates in a position that their teammates have to help them with their responsibilities; it's really a case of that old cliche, making those around you better. If you watch games from this perspective, you'll notice that's really what they are trying to do. I'm not talking about with the puck even, I think it's mostly noticeable without the puck and away from the immediate play. It's very hard to explain or articulate; I could write an essay about it.

I could go on and on, like I said, I could probably write an essay, but I think I've spewed enough random thoughts out for now. There are times when we have to realize that we are just fans of the game, and we have to slow it down and just watch, or else we might miss something special.

Really have nothing but good things to say about this guy

Last edited by PavelDatsyuk: 02-23-2012 at 02:02 PM.
PavelDatsyuk is offline   Reply With Quote