View Single Post
Old
02-23-2012, 02:56 PM
FreddtFoyle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
You have to be naive to think that there are not some "inducements" to some players by some some teams. I'm not going to accuse any team, because I don't have concrete evidence, and would not even if I did. But, I do agree that these things happen and will continue to happen.
Sure. Some guys are "induced" to play for national championships on a contender, especially when they are host. Some guys are "induced" to play for a team in a conference that will be sending reps to the World University Games next year, and are perhaps are promised that they have a good shot to make that team. Some guys are "induced" to play for teams in a conference where players get regularly seen by scouts and have good opportunities to crack the AHL or the lower minors when they're done. Some guys are "induced" to play for winning programs. Some guys are "induced" to play in front of crowds of 500, 1000, 2000, 3000 or more. Some guys are "induced" to play for schools where CIS hockey is the most important game in town.

None of the above involves money going from a team to a student-athlete. That's not to say it doesn't cost money to build a contender when you pay for full time assistant coaches, video software, nice dressing rooms, out of conference road-trips and trips to the States, etc.

All the teams have the same AFA limits: 14 x tuition+fees. If your school has lower tuition costs than your neigbours, your total pot is actually smaller than them. However, folks need to keep in mind that few hockey programs actually max out their AFA limit, or "cap". So if a hockey program is not maxing out their "cap" because they don't have the needed financial resources from donors and they're competing for recruits against a better funded hockey program that is able to get closer to the cap? Well, that's just competition (or tough luck). Not every team in the NHL is at their cap and few teams in the CIS are at their "cap".

If your favourite team isn't maxing the cap, that's life. Live with it. But people out there (like certain Island coaches) shouldn't talk about other teams "buying teams" while they're trying "to build one". That's just sour grapes. Any coach/recruiter would max out his cap if he had the budget. Go find the money from your alumni and stop trying to insinuate that other teams are bending the rules ... without proof (and I'm not talking about you AUS Fan).

Last edited by FreddtFoyle: 02-23-2012 at 03:03 PM. Reason: crowds
FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote