View Single Post
Old
02-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Tommy Hawk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
Since the Glads' attendance actually went DOWN with the departure of the Thrashers, it's hard for me to think that a move from the ECHL to the AHL would actually bring in more fans in that specific market. In Charlotte, the team was playing in the same arena as an NBA team, making the "low minors" to "major league" gap a little more obvious and outstanding, which I can potentially see making the jump to the AHL more palatable... but Gwinnett is very much on the outskirts of Atlanta, and I can't see there being the same kind of bounce without a SERIOUS marketing campaign, and even then, it's a pretty big risk, IMO.

Now, all of that said, their attendance now is still better than 13 other existing AHL teams. So, in theory, it _should_ be able to support an AHL team... but they'd very much be on an island, with only Charlotte "close". I don't really see any rational reason for the current ownership to try to make that jump.

Totally agree except that one of the Florida teams may like it being so close. Also, atlanta - busiest airport in the world, many flights all around the country so getting players to the destination quickly for call-ups would be a plus.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote