Thread: Ribeiro
View Single Post
Old
11-12-2003, 01:17 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
I've been a fan of Ribeiro's since his junior days, and I've stuck up for him over the years. He's slowly progressed since his brief stint in the NHL as a 19 year old rookie. I like his progression. He was really bad defenseivly, not he at least seems to understand where he should be, and has even showed a small amount of physical play.

I like Ribs, but his lack of lower body strength is very painful to watch. Yes he has flashy moves, and is one of the best passers on the team if not the best. His vision has got him this far. The problem, Riebiro can be knocked off the puck easily against good defensive teams. He also can't contain his man down low, as he lacks the strength and speed. It's just a simple fact. Will his shortcomings be overlooked cause of his flashy moves? I think maybe so, but I'm not sold yet. I think he's looked good, but still has a very long way to go. He looks great when he's got the puck behind the net, carring the puck in or the cycle down low, and he's in trouble. Also he does too many moves that don't work. This comes with experince. He'll learn when he needs to just dump it instead of trying too much. I hope he gets there, cause he's come a long way already, and has a good skill set, but one has to wonder how successful we can be with Koivu, Ribeiro, Perreault as our top centers.