View Single Post
01-24-2006, 10:51 PM
Leaf Lander
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
The Toronto Marlies select Center Marty Barry and Centre Ivan Boldirev

Wherever he played, Marty Barry was a productive center whose work ethic was lauded by teammates and opponents alike. His stamina and dedication made him one of the most consistent and durable performers of his era. Between 1929 and 1939, he missed only two NHL regular season games

A proficient scorer, he was known by the local sportswriters as "Goal-a-Game" Barry.

If we had Cooney Weiland, we’d be here," Ross expressed of Detroit’s all-star center. "If I had Marty Barry," Adams countered, referring to the Boston center, "we’d win the Stanley Cup."

The deal was consummated in June, with Barry and Art Giroux coming to Detroit for Weiland and Walt Buswell.

That April, Adams was proven a prophet. Barry finished second in NHL scoring with 40 points and the Wings whipped Toronto to win their first title. Barry was third in league scoring the following year and led all playoff snipers with 11 points as Detroit retained its crown.

The 1936-37 season was Barry’s finest. He earned selection to the First All-Star Team, was awarded the Lady Byng Trophy and scored two goals in Detroit’s 3-0 Cup-clinching victory over the New York Rangers, including the Cup winner.

"First, they award me the Lady Byng Trophy and then I score two goals tonight," Barry said after that game. "I guess I was celebrating."

Barry led the Wings in scoring in three of his four seasons with the club and the unit of Barry, Larry Aurie and Herbie Lewis was recognized as the NHL’s most effective forward line.

"He was a very smooth centerman," teammate Carl Liscombe remembered of Barry. "He had the talent to get the puck by everyone. In that sense, Marty was one of the best."

He gained a place in the Red Wings Hall of Fame in 1944 and the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1965
Marty Barry - Legends of hockey Player Bio

- Marty Barry -Detroit Player Bio

Ivan Boldirev was a smooth-skating, playmaking centre with superior puck handling skills he had a natural touch around the net. He spent 15 years in the league with six different clubs and recorded nine 20-goal seasons.

His best season came in 1981-82 when he scored 33 goals playing on a line with Dave "Tiger" Williams and Tony Currie notched eight playoff markers as the club reach the Stanley Cup finals for the first time.

He played for : Boston;California;Chicago;Atlanta;Vancouve and Detroit

Played 1052 games 361 goals and 866 points
Played in NHL All-Star Game (1978)
Ivan Boldirev- Legends of hockey Player Bio

Last edited by Leaf Lander: 02-01-2006 at 10:36 PM.
Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote