View Single Post
Old
02-23-2012, 10:59 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
I don't think it's just that. Goalies are a volatile commodity, in terms of worth and performance. We saw Colorado give up a 1st and a 2nd for Varlamov, who has been very disappointing to this point. Bryzgalov was signed to a monster contract, and has been extremely inconsistent for the Flyers. By the same token, a journeyman like Sanford has been serviceable for the Blue Jackets at times, the oft-traded Brian Elliott has been outstanding in St. Louis and reclamation project Jose Theodore has been good enough in Florida to have the Cats fighting for the division.

I think trading for goalies is way too much of a crap shoot, outside of the handful of elite netminders that wouldn't be available anyway. Couple that with just enough serviceable guys being available during free agency, and I figure that Howson decided to go with a return in which he knew exactly what he was getting, and what kind of performance he could expect from it. Could you imagine if he traded Carter for Bernier and a 1st, and then had Bernier pull a Mason next season? Oye...
The more I think about the more I believe that in his precarious position Howson is looking for players who are sure things and least likely to blow up in his face plus ready to make cbj a better team next season not two or three years from now.

It looks like Howson is gonna get to stay and you have to think he needs to put together a team that will at least be somewhat competitve right out of the gate next season