View Single Post
Old
02-24-2012, 08:08 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
If Columbus was trying to get the best available defenseman, we couldn't have topped with without giving up Weber or Suter. At this moment, Johnson is better than any of Josi, Ellis, or Blum. Our first is lower than theirs. Cbus wanted quality, and we couldn't give them a better Dman or a higher pick. I think a Ellis+Lindy+1st deal or something is better for them, but Howson obviously wanted the best D available.
Bingo. If they wanted a 1 for 1 swap for a quality D-man, we can't match that.

Other thoughts on that trade-

-He's been on the block for at least a couple weeks now. I'm sure all 29 GM's at least called just to see what the price is. In the end, I'm guessing there were 3 or 4 teams trying to make it work (IMO, I'm thinking Poile was one of them). In the end, not one team outbid the Kings. I'm also thinking the 1st sent them over the top as the winner.

-There's also that same division factor. It was reported (Dreger?) that they would not deal in the division. We lose out right there.

In other news, it looks like nobody would pay the rumored crazy price tag on Hemsky and he's close to re-signing to an overpaid contract. Good.