Thread: The Lavi Thread
View Single Post
Old
02-24-2012, 07:54 AM
mirimon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
I know it's been said millions of times, I just don't understand why he still plays Shelley over Rinaldo.
Maybe Rinaldo has some minor injury? Or it's just that if we are going to keep Shelley on the roster, for whatever reason, it's good to give him a game at least once in a while. It's not like Rinaldo's been sitting in the press box that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
I have to say that I disagree with some of the lines Lavi is putting out there when we are losing. He needs to change lines better when game is not going our way. Same goes for our d-sive paring. Coburn and Timonen were bad yesterday. Especially Coburn. Still no changes were made. I feel like he does not double shift players that came to play. If Read is having a bad game you move him off Briere line. Over all I was disappointed with some of the decisions.

I would like Flyers to get a coach that works strickly with d-men. Mesz, Carle, Coburn are getting out of control at times.
They have Kevin McCarthy who works as a coach for the ds, I think.

I agree somewhat with what you say, but at the same time, one of the advantages of our roster structure is that you can play all four lines (minus Shelley, yesterday) fairly evenly. Just roll them out there and they should be wearing the opponents down as the game goes on, since they can play with more speed and energy than teams where you mostly use the top 2-3 lines. If you start double shifting too much (Wellwood was sat at times in the third period as well, I believe), you'll risk to disrupt the lines that has found chemistry, as well.

I also don't think that Read was quite as bad as some of the posts in the GDT indicates that he was. Sure, his offense has dried up, but he's still pretty dependable defensively. That they trust him to be the third guy on a line with Brière and Jagr says a lot about how highly they think of him.

On defense, I wouldn't mind seeing some changes though. Timonen-Coburn have been together for a long time now, and for the most time they are doing a real good job, but I think it's time to break them up. Pair Coburn with Grossman and create a shutdown pairing. Timonen-Kubina could be a good pairing as well, I think. Sure, it's not the fastest one, but they are bouth good enough positionally that I don't think it should create too much problems. Also, we're fairly often in the offensive zone when Timonen's on the ice I think (I remember reading some stat about it, maybe it's changed though...) and if he could pass the puck to Kubina instead of Coburn on the blue line, that might not be so bad. That leaves Meszaros-Carle however... They should be good enough to form a good pairing, I just hope they can play that way consistently.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote