View Single Post
Old
02-24-2012, 10:10 AM
DerekDevils30

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post

1. Mark Fayne actually got better this season. Most people here thought he was just playing over his head and wasn't real...Even when was doing it last season people wanted to talk about how Urbom and Taormina were "above" him..With the benefit of hindsight that is quite ridiculous today. I never believed that totally but in the back of my mind I had my doubts whether or not that he could play well for a full season....He has exceeded expectations beyond believe. Fayne has played legit top 4minutes all season and has done an excellent job. He maybe the single biggest reason that this defense isn't complete dog crap.

2. Bryce Salvador has actually been so much better than I expected that I'm almost shocked by it. His last year before he was injured he was terrible. His positioning was erratic for a Stay at Home guy and he often seemed to be at the center of every mistake. Not so much this year and he has been more than an adequate White replacement this season.

3. Adam Larsson's Rookie Mistakes. Now, when I knew we were going with Fayne, Salvador and Larsson to start the season I think I soiled my pants a little bit. Questions marks surrounding Salvador and Fayne were real, throw in a rookie who is guaranteed to make costly mistakes coupled with two regulars who very well may not have performed at the NHL level and you have a very scary scenario for the Defense.

Larssonís rookie mistakes were about what I expected but they arenít as frequent as I expected and they arenít any physical weaknesses like I expected....By that I mean I fully expected him to have a difficult time along the boards with some forwards and I've seen none of that, it actually has probably been a strength of his and quite surprising for a rookie...He still seems to not be fully aware of the time and space in the NHL and how quickly things happen but his season so far has been a lot better than I expected.
I do remember you mentioning the defense before the season started. Fayne has been a tremendous find by Lou and company. It's great to have a reliable right-handed defenseman on the team. It's been awhile. He definitely looks to be a legit 2nd paring d-man as it stands.

Salvador has been a rock and will likely be re-signed to a 1 or 2 year deal.

Can't wait to see how Larsson progresses. The guy just screams number 1 defenseman to me. Some of the things he does just gives you the sense. That slap pass to Elias in the Winnipeg game was amazing.

DerekDevils30 is offline   Reply With Quote