Thread: News Article: A. Kostitsyn wants to stay here
View Single Post
Old
02-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
at this point its looking more and more like trading him would be the most sensical thing to do.

Personally I still hold out faint belief that Kost has some growth left in him as a player... I can see him becoming a 30g/60+pt player, he is just hitting his first year of UFA status, and at 27, he wouldn't be the first guy to "put it together" in his late 20's.

that said, hard to see how the habs could justify giving him anything more than a 1-2 year deal at this point, and likely for less than some other team could be willing to throw at him on the UFA market.

earlier this year, I was thinking he'd need a 4-5M$ price tag to stick around, his poor season has lowered that I imagine, but from our end it would be hard to see the team willing to give him any kind of raise at all.

with a pretty limited amount of offensive wingers likely available in the next few days, and a considerable amount of teams who would conceivably be willing to roll the dice on Kost, seems like the right thing to do to auction him off to the highest bidder.

while the "ideal" Kost would be hard to replace, the Kost we've seen this year (on pace for 16g/32pts) shouldn't be that hard... Leblanc, with another offseason to get stronger/physically mature, could very well fill that loss.

Patches
Cole
Gionta
Bourque
Leblanc
Moen
White
Palushaj
Blunden
Geoffrion
Darche?

that's an ok group of wingers to head into next season with, obviously adding a top-6/top-9 upgrade would be great, but at this point Kost doesn't inspire enough confidence in that role to be worth giving up on the pick/prospect type return likely out there to be had for him in the coming days.

too bad really, the guy has/had so much potential and teased us so often with that rare combination of size/strength + sublime skill...