Thread: Proposal: Dustin Brown
View Single Post
Old
02-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredFlyer View Post
All that I would say is to be wary of calling a guy a great team leader when his current team (a playoff team) wants to trade him away.

Richards has struggled on his new team. Ditto Carter. Most of the time, when you're dealing with a captain, a guy who has been there for 5-6+ years, the GM of the trading team knows more about him than the acquiring GM does and it should be a red flag that a playoff team is willing to deal such a player.

Dustin Brown is an excellent player from my POV, but he is a 2nd liner. Wayne Simmonds is our Dustin Brown IMO. He actually has the potential to be more than Dustin Brown, but given what he is doing right now for our team, he's about equal.

Likewise, Scott Hartnell is another similar player. Guy wears his heart on his sleeve, is a total team leader, hardworking, etc. Hartnell right now is having a season that Brown could only dream of.

I like Brown, but he is just simply redundant on this team and he is not worth JVR. I'd like to see a healthy JVR and JVR in the playoffs again before I'd ever consider trading him for a 2nd liner grinder type.

This team is not going far in the playoffs unless some big changes happen and we get really lucky. No reason to mortgage the future to try and go at it this year.
I could not agree with this post more.

I'd be willing to move Carle (UFA) and Read (valuable for his contract) for Brown because he can help now and in the future and is on a decent contract, but sending either JVR or Voracek to LA for him is a mistake, I think.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote