Old
02-24-2012, 12:46 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Said it before, and I'll say it again:

There are going to be a lot of disappointed people here come Monday evening.

Some actual facts to consider:

Cbus has a ton of cap space.

They will likely get the first overall pick in the draft. This will be a nice start in adding cheap, talented youth to the roster as early as next fall.

They got rid of a player that was NOT working for them in Carter. Not sure how JJ will pan out, but he fills an immediate requirement they had.

Rick Nash is just entering his prime. He is loved by the jacket fan base. He is the team captain. He could be a key center piece in a rebuild. Why trade him for anything less than what you absolutely require?

The Rangers, while needing more scoring are still a first place team with solid esprit de corps.

Who knows what the hell could happen before 3 PM EST on Monday, but it would seem to me at least, that a deal is far from certain at this point.
Speaking for myself, the only way I'd be TRULY disappointed come Monday evening is if the Rangers make a deal where they give up too much.

I definitely feel that this team needs to upgrade its offensive skill quotient - but only at the right price. Nash seems to be the best available option to achieve that goal and I'm comfortable with the reported offer that the Rangers have on the table (in fact, I'm ecstatic at it as I'd be willing to upgrade either Thomas or McIlrath to either Miller or Erixon). If there are other solutions out there to address the same issue that haven't been reported and that can be had at the appropriate price, I'd be open to those as well.

BUT, if their only options are to overpay for offense or stand pat, I'd be fine standing pat and waiting for the summer to try again (although I'd be less sanguine about the team's chances to win it all this postseason).