View Single Post
Old
02-24-2012, 01:50 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
I.. was... unaware of this.. Don't go thru any unnecessary effort because I totally believe it.. I ws just curious how long has the NHL owned the rights? That just seems strange because you'd think that the Stars wouldnt acquire it in the sale..

Also, hypothetically, if the Stars ever played the Wild in a Winter Classic, why would the NHL want the Wild to wear it!? You'd think they'd want the Original Stars franchise to wear it and they'd want the Wild to create a throwback jersey of their own...

Kind of like a New Minnesota vs Old Minnesota. Give the Wild a chance to conquer the old team. If the Wild wore North Stars stuff it would be like the Stars playing the Stars (which would be kind of cool) but I just don't see it happening like that, Also. I dont see the Wild going for it. They wouldnt want their first ever winter classic to be remember as them playing as a totally different franchise..
Not sure how long it's been this way, but I'm pretty sure the NHL owns all trademarks of defunct teams. The new Jets definitely had to get the trademark from the league; Bettman specifically said during the relocation announcement festivities that he would make the name available if Chipman and co. wanted it. I think the only exception is the Whalers, because of a special clause that gave the trademarks to the City of Hartford.

As far as using it...Look at the Flames' Heritage Classic sweaters; they're based on a defunct Calgary team. Look at the Senators' current "heritage jerseys"; again, based on a long-gone Ottawa team. It's not about pretending to be those teams or conflating the histories; it's just about honoring the city's past.

And I don't think the Stars are going to be playing in a WC any time soon, so I don't think that's really a concern. The NHL's MO lately has been to give Classics to teams that have been WC visitors in the recent past, and I don't think they're exactly grooming Dallas for an outdoor game.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote