View Single Post
Old
02-24-2012, 02:03 PM
se7en
infamous...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Not sure how long it's been this way, but I'm pretty sure the NHL owns all trademarks of defunct teams. The new Jets definitely had to get the trademark from the league; Bettman specifically said during the relocation announcement festivities that he would make the name available if Chipman and co. wanted it. I think the only exception is the Whalers, because of a special clause that gave the trademarks to the City of Hartford.

As far as using it...Look at the Flames' Heritage Classic sweaters; they're based on a defunct Calgary team. Look at the Senators' current "heritage jerseys"; again, based on a long-gone Ottawa team. It's not about pretending to be those teams or conflating the histories; it's just about honoring the city's past.

And I don't think the Stars are going to be playing in a WC any time soon, so I don't think that's really a concern. The NHL's MO lately has been to give Classics to teams that have been WC visitors in the recent past, and I don't think they're exactly grooming Dallas for an outdoor game.
Good points & I hope you're right!

I just kind of figured that if Minnesota ever got a Winter classic they'd have us play Dallas.. But I guess the Blackhawks, Blues or Jets would all make sense too..

se7en is offline   Reply With Quote