View Single Post
Old
02-24-2012, 03:57 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
In non contact hockey, make sure there's not going to be any sort of accidental collision, and then go ahead and look over your shoulder. At full stride I can very consistently take a pass cleanly from behind if it's going to my right side (my backhand, as I'm a right handed shooter), and can fairly consistently take the pass on my left side/forehand, but if it has to come through my legs, there's a guaranteed blind spot, and that makes it way harder to receive cleanly. If a pass is going to go straight through my legs, I normally turn to face it, which kills your speed, but at least it's not a turnover, and you can still make a pass to another forward on the rush.

In contact hockey, these passes should not be made unless you're truly open, as in you've split the d and there's no way you're going to get hit. I've been truly blown up by huge hits trying to take suicide passes, was lucky to avoid major injury, but it's definitely a good way to get yourself hurt. Not to say that there's no room in the game for passes up the middle straight from behind, cutting to the middle for a pass when the dmen are out of position is IMO the best way to get breakaways, but you need to make sure there's a lot of space so you're truly in the clear before turning your head to receive the pass. If you're not a player who naturally has a good awareness of where the defenders are, it can be very dangerous.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote