View Single Post
Old
02-24-2012, 10:58 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Maybe. Next year is no problem. With Nash, Del Zotto resigned for about $2.5m and Kreider on the books for about $1.75, Prust/Biron/Stralman totaling $2.75m they have about $50.6m committed for 2013-14 (8F, 4D, 2G). A lot depends on what happens with that Cap. If the Cap remains the same, you're talking about $13.7m in space in the 2013 off-season to resign McDonagh, Stepan, Anisimov, Hagelin and Sauer (all 5 are RFAs) plus one bottom-6 replacement. My guess is it will take between 10-11m to resign McDonagh, Stepan and Anisimov, leaving around 3-3.5m for Hagelin, Sauer, bottom-6er. Those numbers become proportionally less if the Cap goes down.

It's a little dicey, but I don't see how that's not doable. Worst case scenario, you trade Anisimov and Sauer, replacing them with players on entry level deals (Miller, Fasth, Erixon). Gaborik might be tradeable too.

The question is this:

Is it worth the risk of having to make tough decisions 2 years down the road in order to give yourself a better shot at the Cup for this playoff and next?
I've already said I think Rick Nash is overrated and overpaid and his value is being significantly overrated.