View Single Post
Old
02-24-2012, 11:44 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Excellent post. Although I do think that Stepan and McDonagh are going to get slightly more than we're used to seeing from guys on their 2nd contracts on this team. Why? Because at that point we should be talking about relatively established 1st line and 1 pair players. Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov, Sauer, Del Zotto are all 2nd line, 2nd pair players. Remember, Marc Staal's 2nd contract was worth almost $4m.
Fair enough. But, that's covered by the hedge of trading BOTH (as opposed to just one of) AA and Sauer if need be, which I mentioned towards the end - by two summers from now, you'll have other worthy ELC players to take their places on the 3rd line and 3rd pair, respectively, going into 2013-2014.

Also, if you want to keep them, you can look to move Gabby a year early or, yes, even explore the once unthinkable idea of trading Marc Staal - I mean, there's really no point in amassing 5 top pairing defensemen and hoarding them, given that having even 3 or 4 of them only leaves a limited amount of ice time for the remaining guys anyway.