View Single Post
Old
02-25-2012, 11:10 AM
Fataldogg

vCash: 500
A player should be doing a lot more with a $6.7 million cap hit and $12 million salary. That said, he hasn't been terrible. The problem is, with his contract, he's supposed to be excellent. And he hasn't been. He's scored some big goals for us, but the bottom line is, the consistency hasn't been there.

You can argue that he hasn't played with great line mates, but it's not like Gaborik is playing with the most talented players in the world. And Gaborik is doing significantly better.

I'm waiting to reserve all judgements until the playoffs. Big picture here. We signed him for his playoff resume and to acquire a #1 center. If he can fulfill that role in the playoffs, I'll have no problem with a 55 point season. If he can't, and is inconsistent in the playoffs, I'll say he had a bad year, and deserves to be in the hot seat next season.

I know it's nice to say "cut him some slack" but when you sign a contract like he signed you open yourself up to criticism if expectations aren't made. That's part of being a professional athlete.