: News Article:
Sports Illustrated Says: No Rebuild, Just a New GM + Retool
View Single Post
02-25-2012, 04:06 PM
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Excellent thread ownage.
I will just add that not only should the Habs rebuild, but they're in a good position to do so. They wouldn't be building a team from scratch.
1) Subban, Gorges, Emelin and Diaz constitute half of a great NHL defense. Tinordi and Beaulieu may come on line in a few years. It's not a great defense now, but it could become one with feasible effort.
2) The combination of Eller, Desharnais, and Plekanec makes any one of them a treadeable asset, depending on what we're getting back. This is even more true if Leblanc progresses.
3) We have good draft picks this year and next, and we have Trevor Timmins, the most competent person in the organization.
4) We have a franchise goalie.
5) Pacioretty and Cole make half of a great top-6 winger core. Gionta pulls his weight and is a reliable 25 goal scorer, but he's injured this year.
6) The bottom-6 forwards core is garbage, but that's the easiest part of the team to build via free agency.
So there is no need for a New York Islanders or Pittsburgh Penguins style rebuild. We are not starting from zero. We just need a few, doable things:
1) Two years of good drafting. Don't trade the 1st rounder for Alex Tanguay. Don't trade the second rounder for Dominic Moore. Just trust Timmins. Yakupov/Grigorenko would go a long way.
2) Pick up a top-4 dman off the UFA market. Consider packaging one of our 2nd line centers to get a top-4 dman by trade.
3) Make Gomez and Kaberle disappear.
4) Get a real checking/defensive third line.
It's not easy, but it's not that hard. A real stanley cup contender could be on the scene in Montreal in as little as 3 seasons from now.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by DAChampion