View Single Post
Old
01-26-2006, 03:51 PM
Kearney

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
Ok, regardless, I'm just going to go back to my point. The team tanked the very next game after the assignment. You feel that one game means nothing, but I think that it means far more than anything else. When you're reprimanded and given a one-time assignment, you either absorb it and immediately try harder or you don't. There's no gray area, IMO. I don't subscribe to the theory that the enlightment found through the essay didn't suddenly "click on" weeks later in the players' heads. I think that citing more games after that, especially the entire season, is simply reaching further and further to prove one's point. It either works immediately or it doesn't, and that's my stand.
I am of the assumption - and I've said it before - that the homework assignment was merely one of a variety of techniques he was using to prepare and motivate the players. It just happened to get a little press. He probably tried even crazier things we've never heard about. The sum total was successful.

You don't like the homework assignment - fine. I do - fine. We'll never agree on that. But you can't argue that it caused the players to tune him out, given the record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
Allison, Deadmarsh, Palffy and Schneider (and a decent, at worst, goalie)
You can't continue that list very much longer without sounding silly. It was NOT a great roster top to bottom.