Thread: Speculation: The defense for next year.
View Single Post
Old
02-26-2012, 04:20 AM
BillDineen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
If we can afford Suter:

Timonen-Suter
Mez-Grossman
Coburn-MAB
Gus

If not:

Timonen-Coburn
Mez-Grossman
Kubina-MAB
Gus

I definitely do love Grossman and would be easy to re-sign if you ask me. Kubina said he didn't want to test UFA waters and wanted to re-sign.
I do agree with both of these options. I would even pass on re-signing Jagr for the extra dollars to do it.

Outside of those options and generally speaking, this organization is excellent at identifying forwards. Between drafts (Gagne, Williams, Downie, Richards, Carter, Giroux), trades (Lupul, Versteeg) and the current roster this is clear.

Flyers almost have too much talent in forwards that do not need to show up every night. Lupul and Versteeg are doing better with teams with thinner talent. I believe both JVR and Briere would score significantly more if they were on Toronto or Florida. This team just doesn't need them every night, so they do not feel the urgency that some players require to perform consistently. As such, a forward like Gaustad on any given night is probably more valuable than some inconsistent forwards in leading to points in the standings.

I believe Coburn and Meszaros are slightly overpaid for what they bring. Carle will be grossly overpaid by someone. Somehow, if Suter cannot be acquired, converting forward assets (JVR is highest although I would like to see them give him longer) into potential future No. d asset is needed IMO.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote