View Single Post
Old
02-26-2012, 02:00 PM
number72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espher View Post
You can selectively bold the post to try and tailor it to fit your argument all you want, but it doesn't make your post accurate. All I'm saying his ability as a 'mid-game motivator' is a non-factor. I'd wager most coaches are pretty **** for that when goaltending just ***** the bed, even the ones that are winning -- maybe we can just give Wilson some barbeque sauce and have him drop f-bombs during the intermission and we'll see how that works out.

If you think there are problems with the system and we're exposing our goaltenders who are weak in several areas where other keepers are passable at worst, that's fine, and push for a change there (either Wilson changing systems or a new coach with a different system).

But please, don't act like we need some magical mystical motivator for a coach. The problems stem from our goaltending, and we either need better goaltending or a suitable system to insulate them and bump up (or even pad) their numbers so we can eke out some wins.

As for your other post, I think his career numbers have been deflated by his tenure with the Leafs, so maybe the Leafs are the problem with Ron Wilson. How's that spin taste?

Edit: Oh, also: who should we bring in to replace Ron Wilson? Who is a suitable 'motivator' and coaches a system that fits what our team actually needs and is currently available? Offer some suggestions.
I don't think it is all goaltending. The defensive coverage on the team is poor.
This run and gun system leads to 2 on 1, breakaways, has defenders pinching and requires a goalie to never make mistake.

A more conservative system would yield low quality scoring chances and would not magnify the "mistakes" most goaltenders make. That is, look at Smith or Bryz on Phoenix. And Bryz this year on up tempo Philly. All goalies (like players make mistakes) but under a good defensive system, the shot quality is poorer and mistakes less apparent. The alternative is we wait for a Cujo like outstanding goalie that plays well under 2 on 1 and never fault the coaches defensive strategy.