View Single Post
Old
02-26-2012, 02:06 PM
Espher

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
I don't think it is all goaltending. The defensive coverage on the team is poor.
This run and gun system leads to 2 on 1, breakaways, has defenders pinching and requires a goalie to never make mistake.

A more conservative system would yield low quality scoring chances and would not magnify the "mistakes" most goaltenders make. That is, look at Smith or Bryz on Phoenix. And Bryz this year on up tempo Philly. All goalies (like players make mistakes) but under a good defensive system, the shot quality is poorer and mistakes are less apparent.
I don't disagree with your second paragraph, but the fact of the matter is that it seems nearly every turnover, odd-man rush, or pass from behind the net (especially the pass from behind the net) results in a goal. Amazingly, other goaltenders putting up middle-of-the-puck numbers don't seem to concede a goal as a matter of course in those situations against us when they come up.

So, not only do we have to require on our goaltender making a mistake, we have to have our forwards and D never make a mistake or encounter an odd bounce, because our goaltenders seem to always make mistakes when something that isn't a shot-from-the-outside happens.

I guess you could say that we expose our goaltenders to a higher volume of those, but my perception is that we only concede a higher volume of dangerous odd-man rushes.

We either need better goaltending, or we need a system that insulates and protects our goaltenders from these sorts of adversarial situations -- and hope they don't let in the 30' wristers, actually -- which can come from either a system change or a coaching + system change. It has nothing to do with motivating the team. The team always plays confident when they have faith in the goaltending, and falls apart when they don't.