Thread: Speculation: The defense for next year.
View Single Post
Old
02-26-2012, 05:24 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Right now, if I'm Holmgren, the only two defensemen coming back next year are Grossman and Timonen. Depending on what Kubina is asking for, he can be the ideal third pairing D. If they let Carle walk, they can bring in someone like Suter. As for Meszaros and Coburn, well, there was word that the Winnipeg Jets really like Meszaros and have talked about a package around Mark Stuart for him.

With regards to Coburn, the Flyers could really start a bidding war for his services if they put him on the block. I know for a fact that there have been several teams from the Western Conference who are interested and that there have been concrete offers for him. I know for a fact that Phoenix and Los Angeles have put forward trade offers and that Anaheim was also interested in his services.

If I'm the Flyers, it's very easy to rebuild the defense. I'd look at something like this for next season:

Timonen - Grossman
Suter - Stuart
Kubina - trade acquisition
MAB/Gus as the number 7

That's a pretty good looking five and certainly would be quite a defense to play against. It's also not a bank breaker, which is what the Flyers are looking at. As for the trade acquisition, if the Flyers could get someone like a Luca Sbisa or a Chris Summers or a Matt Greene type, that'd be quite an overhaul of the D and would actually be more balanced.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote