View Single Post
Old
02-26-2012, 04:30 PM
smoneil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Look, I'm really not a Anisimov fan and I'm shocked that he hasn't fallen out of favor with Torts. But there's obviously a skill set there.

Most good players stay within themselves and try not to do too much. That's what makes an useful player. He's smart. He knows where to be. He reads plays well. That's what all good players do and something most rookies struggle with.

I still have no idea what Dubiski is. Is he a passer? Is he a power forward who is going to score a lot of garbage goals? I'm not sure what he excels at.

I never argued that Anisimov doesn't have a skill set. All things considered, I don't want him off the team at all. I just argued that, until he uses that skillset to produce, he hasn't surpassed Dubinsky on the depth chart. Anisimov has more skill than Dubi, but there isn't (to use your own terms) a single thing that AA does better than Dubinsky.

As for Dubinsky, I think his biggest strength is also his biggest weakness. He wears his heart on his sleeve. That allows him to play beyond his skill level and turn it up in the playoffs, but it also magnifies things like a slump to seem bigger than they really are. He can pass (frankly, I think he's always been a better passer than shooter). He can score. He can play the PF game. Last season, he started putting those elements together. This year, when he lost confidence in his shot, he tried to live off of just the passing. It's obviously not worked, but I'm not concerned. As I said--having a down year is not exclusive to Brandon Dubinsky.